Queer Tag

I am not really a jewelry kind of guy. Sort of. I like a ring if it looks like it could be something ancient and possibly mystical (I'm a bit of a geek/nerd/dork) but not recognizably so (no dragons, runes, skulls, pagan symbols, Elvish, etc.). And a pendant on a chain if it fits that criteria, too. But nothing flashy. And in the case of the pendant it's never worn over the shirt.

I don't do bracelets but I'm a sucker for a good looking watch.


Since the first of the year I started spending more time thinking about my queer identity. It's kind of odd as I've made it through several decades without putting much thought into it. With all that thinking came a minor desire to get some sort of pin or symbol that wasn't rainbowy.

I was in a department store of sorts a few weeks ago and saw this machine that engraves pet ID tags while you watch. One of the tag options was a stainless steel dog tag like shape. I saw it and had an idea. I put in $6 in the machine, typed in what I wanted engraved, and less than a minute later I had a nice shiny dog tag engraved with: QUEER.

I tend to not be interested in expressing myself with symbolism so it's odd how much I like having the queer tag around my neck. I wear it under my shirt, so it's not like I'm carrying a sign. It's just a personal thing that for some weird reason, or maybe no reason at all, means something to me. If I do stumble on a reason I'll come back to this post and put a better ending on it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Type

Heteronormative

TV Dick Part 2: The Horror of the Penis