Queercentric

My whole life I've been into guys. Even before puberty I was interested in other naked boys. But for most of my life my interest in guys was purely sexual. I wasn't romantically attracted to guys. The idea of having a boyfriend never occurred to me because it had no appeal to me though I had no issues about being sexually attracted to guys. (Well, no issues other than the usual American conservative religious belief that boys liking boys was a sin. But like most American conservative religious people I basically let myself ignore my beliefs so I could do what I wanted.) 

In my mid twenties I escaped the mindset of my conservative religious upbringing and became thoroughly socially liberal. I was for equal rights for LGBTQ people even though I didn't feel much of a connection to the LGBTQ community. Though I had personally identified as bisexual since I was 13 my only interest in the LGBTQ world was that it included guys who liked having sex with other guys. 

Being solely interested in the sexual aspect of being bi made me feel I would be kind of a useless member of the LGTBQ community. I actually sort of felt guilty about it as I had no interest in queer history or sociology nor was I interested in marrying a guy. (I wasn't interested in marrying a woman, either.) 

I can't recall exactly when or why my views and interests began to change. I know it was in my mid forties but why I became interested in queer culture I have no idea. I began watching queer documentaries and reading books and checking out queer websites and forums for nonsexual content.

Since that initial curiosity I've made a complete turn around on my interest in queer culture. I'm now fairly queercentric in that heteronormative stories on TV shows and in movies don't interest me. I also have an initial "not interested" reaction to novels about straight characters.  

I'm also kind of irritated when I can't regularly access queer content, even if it's just Twitter posts from queer authors and sites I like. 

I regularly seek out new queer music and, to be bluntly honest, I'm more forgiving of music that doesn't totally grab me if it's made by a queer artist or has a queer focus. (But it's got to grab me at some level, I'm not that tolerant.)

I suppose, technically, I've become shallow and narrow minded. But on the other other hand, for decades I consumed pretty much nothing but heteronormative culture. These days I'm just evening the score.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Dick Part 2: The Horror of the Penis

Heteronormative