Bisexual

BISEXUAL was a term I came across somewhere When I was in the 6th or 7th grade. It immediately made sense to me as I liked guys and girls. I considered myself bisexual from grade 8 on.

I didn't tell anybody I was bisexual except for the few guys I fooled around with. As we were just doing standard young male fooling around stuff they didn't think anything of me telling them I was bisexual. (Or, more likely, they ignored my comment. I'm pretty sure they were all straight guys and probably didn't want to do much thinking about what they were doing with another guy.)

But one guy, Tim, was just as interested in guys as me. He figured he was bisexual, too. We rarely discussed what being bisexual meant, we were just accepting of each other. And when we occasionally got together we were too busy talking about guys or looking at the Playgirls he shop lifted to give our sexual orientation much thought.

Even though I identified as bisexual I was never wild about the term as it seemed clinical and suggested an equal 50/50 attraction. As I got older I didn't like labels at all (a common opinion of a lot of bisexuals). But "bisexual" was an easy descriptor rather than having to explain my own oddball mixed up world of attraction.

I also didn't like that straight people considered bisexuals to be gay and quite a few gay people considered bisexuals to be gay. I could understand the straights opinion, but when I learned there were gays who wanted to challenge other's identity it really bugged me.

I spent most of my life dully thinking of myself as bisexual until one day I came across a word used in positive light: queer. It resonated with me in a way I'd never have expected a label would. I was queer.

Maybe.

I had to first look up what the word actually meant to those who used it  just in case I was using it wrong.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Type

Heteronormative

TV Dick Part 2: The Horror of the Penis