Gaydar

I don't think gaydar is a real thing, and even if it is I don't think it's something all queer guys have. If it exists at all it's based in experience. Some queer guys can gather subtle information that leads them to conclude another guy is queer. 

Fake gaydar, where wishful thinking leads a queer guy to think another guy is queer, is definitely real. I've encountered a couple guys (friends of friends) who were so convinced a guy was gay that they were actually angry the guy hadn't come out of the closet.

I don't have gaydar, I think. There have been guys I've met or been acquainted with who I've thought might be into guys, but I've never had any follow up for proof. And as to what it is in the other guy that makes me think he likes the dick I have no idea. It's never anything about his mannerisms or things he likes* or a clue as obvious as him giving a passing guy the elevator eyes or talking a lot about one particular male friend.

There were a few guys at the small college I went to who seemed they could be queer. None of them had any of the stereotypical mannerisms, it was just an underlying feeling. As it turned out, a couple of those guys were queer. I don't know about the others. 

In my day-to-day life I sometimes encounter guys in public places (stores, libraries, cafes) who I seem to be possibly getting a vibe from but I have no frigging idea if it's real or fake gaydar based in the typical male delusion that others are into him. (Though I never think another guy might be interested in me.)  

Similarly I've never had anyone ask me if I was gay or seem to assume I was.** Maybe I've been assumed to be gay but no one had any reason to mention it.

And a good argument against my having any queer detecting skills can be found in my not having even a whiff of a hint of a clue that some guys I knew were into guys. 

For me it really doesn't matter if gaydar is real or not because even if I definitely felt a guy I found appealing was queer I wouldn't make small talk to get to know him better. I've learned I'm not someone people want talking to them.

Gaydar only matters to me if some guy who might be interested in me feels I might be into guys. 




*I don't make assumptions based on dress or behavior or musical tastes. I've encountered many guys who others might assume, based on our cultural stereotypes of gay guys, we're gay but who were not. 


**There is, I think, an exception to the latter;  I've been to a couple parties thrown by an acquaintance who's gay, most the guys at the parties were gay. I figured it was assumed by other guests that I was gay. Maybe. The guys I talked with talked to me differently than they talked with the other guys at the party. It wasn't the club-member sort of chat but more like the way a teenager might talk to an adult chaperone at a dance, an outsider you're polite to but who you're sure you have nothing in common with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Type

Heteronormative

College Guys